One of a kind cinnamon sour cream coffee cake with a beautiful cinnamon spiral interior. So unbelievably moist and fluffy, this cinnamon sour cream coffee cake is my favorite morning treat. It tastes best in the morning with a cup of coffee, but I happily sneak slices all day long.
A few weeks ago my boyfriend and I stayed at a historic bed and breakfast. It was a lot of fun! The owners served an elaborate breakfast which included this coffee cake. I immediately asked the owner if she’d share the recipe with me. She was gracious enough to email it to me (a lot of guests ask for it- no surprise there!), and now I get to share my version with you.
There are two things that make this coffee cake special. First, is how unbelievably moist it is. The sour cream makes it very light, fluffy, and moist. The second special thing about it is the cinnamon swirl inside. Most coffee cakes have a cinnamon-sugar crumble on top, but this cake’s crumble is inside. The cinnamon swirl looks so impressive and beautiful on the side of every slice.
When I made this cake for the first time, I couldn’t believe how simple it is. It’s basically a jazzed up yellow box cake. Even though it’s so easy to make, it tastes gourmet and sophisticated- nothing like a simple box cake.
Let me know what you think of this cinnamon sour cream coffee cake by leaving a comment. Hope you’re having a great week!
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 box (15.25 oz) box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Spray the inside of a bundt (or tube) pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl using a standing mixer or handheld mixer beat eggs on medium-high until fluffy and thick (approximately 3 minutes). Add white sugar and oil and beat on medium-high until well-combined.
- With a wooden spoon stir in cake mix, sour cream, and walnuts (optional) until incorporated.
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Pour half of cake batter into greased bundt pan. Sprinkle cinnamon mixture on top. Using the blade of a knife form swirl pattern. Pour remaining cake batter on top of cinnamon mixture.
- Bake in preheated 350 °F for 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool entirely in pan before removing.