You’re going to love this broccoli salad. It’s classic, healthy, and refreshing with a gourmet taste. Made with mozzarella cheese, turkey bacon, red onion, and a special tangy sauce, this broccoli salad is a must-have side dish. With 4th of July and hot summer days around the corner, this is the perfect addition to any picnic or outdoor get together.
Can you believe today is the first day of summer?! 2016 is flying by. My boyfriend and I have been outside a lot lately, so I’ve been craving light, refreshing dishes like this one. I love storing a batch of this in the fridge so it’s there waiting for us after a long afternoon in the sun.
Does your family grill in the summer? We do. My boyfriend makes the main dish (last weekend he made chicken kabobs), and I make the side. I like to whip up a cold, simple side like coleslaw or this broccoli salad. They go with practically every thing.
While broccoli salad typically isn’t an exciting dish, this one is. Why? The dressing. It’s only three ingredients, but boy, does it have a lot of flavor. The dressing contains mayonnaise and sugar (as you’d expect), but also apple cider vinegar. The cider vinegar gives it a blast of flavor. The entire salad has a distinctive, tangy taste because of the cider vinegar in the sauce.
This dish is pretty healthy considering its main component is raw broccoli. I love raw vegetables, especially broccoli. It’s so crisp and flavorful. This dressing does a great job of highlighting its natural flavor. And, the mozzarella gives the entire salad a gourmet feel.
Do you crave light, healthy side dishes when it’s warm out? This broccoli salad is just what you need.
Hope you’re having a lovely summer!
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup and 2 tbsp. white sugar
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 lbs. fresh broccoli, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 8 oz. (12 slices) turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups (16 oz.) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- In a small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, sugar, and cider vinegar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a spatula combine broccoli, turkey bacon, mozzarella, and red onion. Drizzle mayonnaise mixture on top and combine using a spatula.
- Cover and store in refrigerator 1 hour before serving.
Love a healthy side dish? You gotta try this pasta salad. I’m drooling just thinking about it…