You’re going to love this soup. It’s healthy, vegetarian, and hearty! So many vegetables are in this: carrots, celery, cabbage, onion, peas and potatoes. This is the perfect soup for when you want something healthy that won’t leave you hungry. It’s a classic vegetable soup recipe every chef should have. It’s perfect for rainy days, sick days, or days when you’re craving something warm.
Last week I was sick and right before I got sick I remember thinking, “I need to take better care of myself.” I wasn’t eating right and exercising the way I should and sure enough, I got really sick! If I had been eating more stuff like this vegetable soup, maybe I wouldn’t have gotten so sick. Has that ever happened to you? There’s nothing like getting sick to make ya realize just how dang important good nutrition is.
A lot of vegetable soups are dull, but not this one! My absolute favorite thing about this soup is how hearty it is. I wanted to create a vegetable soup with a lot of hearty bites. There are so many vegetables in this that trust me, you won’t be scraping the bottom with a spoon looking for vegetables. There are colorful vegetables in each and every bite.
If you’re a vegetarian or like this recipe, be sure to also check out:
Okay, let’s take take care of ourselves and make some homemade vegetable soup! Yum.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 3 cups cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1/8 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 & 1/2 lbs. red potatoes, diced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- In large pot on medium heat, heat olive oil. Add garlic and onions and cook for 5 minutes. Add celery, carrots, cabbage, kosher salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to high and add peas, potatoes, broth, and bay leaf. Bring soup to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and let simmer until potatoes are tender, approximately 20 minutes. Serve warm.