These are the best taquitos I’ve ever had. Corn tortillas stuffed with shredded chicken, sour cream, cilantro, and green salsa, and baked (not fried) to crispy perfection. These taquitos demand to be dipped into your favorite Tex-Mex condiment whether it’s sour cream, salsa, or guacamole. Yesterday I had them with sour cream, but next time I’m going to eat them with my favorite guacamole for the best…meal…EVER!
As a native Texan and food lover, I can say with confidence that I know good Tex-Mex. I’ve done a lot of research (aka eating) in my lifetime, ha-ha. I could live off quesadillas, guacamole, and tacos, and am always reaching for our stash of taco seasoning to add to my food. If you’re like me and love Tex-Mex,
A) we’re kindred spirits and
So, with how much I love Tex-Mex and how much of it I’ve eaten over the years, I have very high standards and boy, do these taquitos meet them! There are two things that make these taquitos amazing. First, their filling which is made with fresh ingredients. (It’s so moist and flavorful I kept eating it cold!). And second, they’re baked not fried. Grease and oil oftentimes make food heavy and less appetizing, but these taquitos get just as crunchy as fried ones but without any frying. The secret? Spraying them with cooking spray and baking ’em at a high oven temperature.
Okay, I could go on and on about how great these baked chicken taquitos are, but I think you just gotta taste ’em to know what I’m talking about! As always feel free to leave me a comment with your thoughts. Here’s the recipe.
- 2 chicken breast halves
- 1/3 cup (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 1 tbsp. lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tsp. taco seasoning (homemade or packet)
- 3 tbsp. cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp. green onions, chopped
- 1 cup Colby-Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 package (24 count) small corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place chicken breasts on baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165°. Shred chicken using two forks.
- In large bowl combine cream cheese, salsa verde, lime juice, and taco seasoning. Stir in cilantro, green onions, cheese, and shredded chicken.
- Increase oven temperature to 425°. Line baking sheets with aluminum foil. Yields 20 to 24 taquitos.
- Put a pan on medium-high heat. Once hot grease pan with cooking spray.
- Dampen both sides of one corn tortilla under a stream of water. Place onto pan and remove after 10 to 15 seconds. Place approximately 2 tbsp. of chicken mixture inside and roll up. Place onto baking sheet with seal facing down.
- Repeat step 5 until all chicken filling is used, making sure to spray pan with cooking spray before each tortilla.
- Spray outside of taquitos with cooking spray. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until taquitos just begin to brown. Serve with sour cream, salsa, or guacamole.