Sure, you’ve had banana nut bread, but have you ever had a quick bread packed with fresh bananas, chocolate chips, AND walnuts?! I’ve got one unforgettable recipe for you today- chocolate chip banana walnut bread! This bread is so dense and flavorful that once you try it, you’ll never want banana nut again!
My sister asked me to create this recipe. She’s had a hard time finding a quality chocolate chip banana nut bread recipe. While some quick breads contain all three ingredients, usually one of the ingredients is down played or hardly present. My sister wanted a bread that boldly showcased all three ingredients. Not to brag, but I think I met her request- this bread is a triple ingredient knockout!
When you bite into this bread, you won’t wonder “hmm, what’s in this?” You’ll know immediately! Chocolate-y, nutty, banana goodness is packed into every bite. You’re going to love this recipe not only for its taste, but its appearance. It’s a beautiful loaf that slices easily and cleanly. And the aroma, oh my goodness, it’s worth baking for the fruity scent alone.
As you can tell, I’m crazy about this bread, but I have to be let you in on something…it’s not the healthiest recipe in the world. It’s more of a dessert/snack item than a breakfast item. If you’re looking for a fun recipe with lots of flavor that’s healthy, check out my strawberry banana nut muffins. They’re guilt-free, full of flavor, and make for a healthy breakfast.
While I usually like eating quick bread slices straight out of the oven while warm, I prefer this bread at room temperature. Try it both ways and let me know which you like best.
Alright, let’s get to it. Here’s the recipe for chocolate chip banana nut bread!
- 1 & 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 & 1/2 cups (approx. 4 bananas) over-ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped or pieces
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9 x 5 bread pan with non-stick cooking spray. Yields 1 loaf (12 servings).
- In medium bowl sift together flour, cream of tartar, and salt. Set aside.
- In standing mixer or with handheld mixer, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Add eggs and bananas. Mix well.
- On low setting add dry ingredients and stir until just combined. With spatula fold in walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into baking pan. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.