I always make a coconut dessert for Easter and this year I made coconut funfetti cupcakes! These cupcakes are so fun, festive, colorful, and darn tasty. I know you’re going to love ’em as much as I do.
I need to let you in on something- I LOVE coconut desserts. I got hooked on coconut cake while living in Texas. There’s a bakery that serves up unbelievably addictive slices of coconut cake. Anytime I go to Texas for a visit, I make sure to swing by for a slice. (And yes, I’ve considered ordering an entire cake and eating it with a fork on the drive back- don’t judge me!).
So, with Easter just around the corner I created a very special coconut cupcake that doesn’t just have coconut flakes but sprinkles, too. I’m so thrilled to share this cupcake recipe with you! I literally squealed the first time I baked these. Look at how adorable the tops are without icing! They’re so cute and fun, I almost didn’t want to ice ’em. The cake is flavorful enough to eat on its own, so feel free to skip on the icing if you want to go a healthier route. I decided to dye the icing blue, but you choose whatever color or colors you’re in the mood for. But whatever color(s) you go with, make sure to top your cupcakes with lots of coconut and sprinkles!
Do you bake a special dessert for Easter? Is it a coconut dessert? Let me know how you celebrate Easter and what you think of these coconut funfetti cupcakes by leaving a comment.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 & 1/3 cups white sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cups sweetened, shredded coconut, packed
- 2/3 cup sprinkles (not Nonpareils)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- food coloring (optional)
- 3/4 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- 3 tbsp. sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line muffin pans with liners. Yields 22 to 24 cupcakes.
- In medium bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In standing mixture using paddle attachment or with handheld mixer, combine 1 cup softened butter and 1 & 1/3 cup white sugar on medium-high for 5 minutes, until smooth and fluffy. On medium-low setting combine eggs, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, and almond extract, mixing well. Batter will be lumpy.
- On low setting, alternate adding flour mixture and yogurt to batter. Mix until just incorporated. With spatula fold in 1 & 1/2 cups coconut and 2/3 cup sprinkles.
- Pour batter into muffin pans and bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes in muffin pans before transferring to baking rack.
- In standing mixer or with handheld mixer, whip 1 cup room temperature butter until smooth. Add confectioner’s sugar and 1 tbsp. vanilla extract and mix at medium-high speed until creamy. Gradually whip in milk by tablespoons until icing reaches desired creaminess (not to exceed 1/2 cup milk). On low setting stir in a few drops of food coloring (optional).
- Ice cupcakes with piping bag once fully cooled. Immediately top with 3/4 cup coconut and 3 tbsp. sprinkles.